Nameplate Marking Manual Detail Presses
SCHMIDT manufactures two manual tag marking machine presses, the Model 4 and Model 6, for stamping into name plates, metal tags, dog tags and ID tags.
SCHMIDT's Model 4 and Model 6 name plate detail presses mark evenly spaced letters and numbers that are accurately aligned and uniformly deep.
The Model 4 and Model 6
The Model 4 and Model 6 machines are virtually identical except for the size of name plates they can handle. The smaller Model 4 accepts plates up to 4" deep, while the larger Model 6 can handle plates up to 8" deep.
These machines and their replacement parts are available to purchase online now.
Table Dimensions: 9-3/4" x 7-3/4"
maximum Rockwell hardness of C59.
Model 6 Nameplate Detail Press
Table Dimensions: 9-3/4" x 11"
maximum Rockwell hardness of C59.
Nameplate Marking Dials and Character Sizes:
|The Model 4 and Model 6 come with either sharp or flat face dials. Each marking dial has 40 characters - A through Z (upper case), 0 through 9, slash (/), dash (-), period (.) and an ampersand (&).|
Sharp Face Dials
Sharp face can be used to mark on all materials - steel, brass, stainless steel*, aluminum, plastic, etc. The sharp face characters penetrate the nameplate material more easily than the flat face. Available in 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", 3/16" & 1/4" character sizes.
Flat Face Dials
Flat face are used to mark on brass, aluminum and plastic because they create a wider impression. Use this character face when the impressions are to be color-filled (lacquer-stick or wax crayon). Available in 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", and 3/16" character sizes.
Each letter or figure occupies a space as wide as it is high. Fractions (1/2, 1/4, etc.) are made with the characters in line - not above one another. A fraction will occupy space equal to letters or figures of the same character size.
For example, 1/8" characters are spaced 8 to the inch. Marking the word "TEMPERED" using an 1/8" character dial would occupy one inch. The same reading in 3/32" characters would yield a mark 3/4" of an inch long.
If nameplates are to be marked within 3/8" of the top edge, if the shape is not square or rectangular, or if you are marking dog tags or pet ID tags, a special fixture or "nest" may be necessary.
We recommend visiting Perma-Products. They offer a nameplate nest that will attach directly to our table, as well as, "tag Nest Plates" for marking special shapes of pet ID tags. Please contact Perma-Products for more information or view the Need Tag? tab for a list of nameplate resources.
*GTS does not recommend the use of character sizes larger than 1/8" on stainless steel - while the dial is quite capable of creating an impression in this material, the pressure required to mark larger characters may cause the ram to deflect resulting in incomplete characters.
Model 4 and Model 6 Replacement Parts
The Model 4 and Model 6 nameplate detail presses have replaceable parts available to purchase online now.
For instructions and information on Do It Yourself repairs for the Model 4 & 6 - please see the DIY Repairs tab.
Below is a toggle list of all the Model 4 and Model 6 replacement parts by name and SKU number.
- Click for Model 4&6 Replacement Parts
- Anvil - SKU 033076 / 33076
- Ball Spring - SKU 033063 / 33063
- Bell Crank - Model 4 - SKU 033046 / 33046
- Bell Crank - Model 6 - SKU 033047 / 33047
- Cam - SKU 033078 / 33078
- Capstan Screw - SKU 033077 / 33077
- Clamp Handle - SKU 033088 / 33088
- Connector Link - SKU 033082 / 33082
- Crank Spring - SKU 033147 / 33147
- Depth Adjustment Screw - SKU 033086 / 33086
- Dial Knob - SKU 033092 / 33092
- Drum Gear - SKU 033062 / 33062
- Escapement Wheel - SKU 33039 to 33044
- Front Guide - SKU 022022 / 22022
- Gauge Lock Stud - SKU 033084 / 33084
- Gib - SKU 033073 / 33073
- Nameplate GTS - SKU 033072 / 33072
- Operating Handle Assembly - SKU 33079-ASSY
- Pawl Assembly - SKU 033033 / 33033
- Pawl Spring - SKU 033085 / 33085
- Plunger Spring - SKU 033093 / 33093
- Pointer - SKU 033066 to 033070
- Ram - SKU 033074 / 33074
- Rear Guide - SKU 033027 / 33027
- Safety Spring - SKU 033045 / 33045
- Space Button Assembly - SKU 033020 / 33020
- Spacing Rack - SKU 033060 / 33060
- Spring Clamp - SKU 054791 / 54791
- Stop Arm - SKU 033031 / 33031
- Table - Model 4 - SKU 033025 / 33025
- Table - Model 6 - SKU 033026 / 33026
- Table Gauge Nut - SKU 033091 / 33091
- Table Gauge Assembly - SKU 033097 / 33097
- Table Gauge Bar - SKU 033090 / 33090
- Table Slide Assembly - SKU 033023 / 33023
- Table Spring - Model 4 - SKU 033058 / 33058
- Table Spring - Model 6 - SKU 033059 / 33059
- Trigger Spring - SKU 033080 / 33080
- Truarc Ring - SKU 054082 / 54082
- Washer - SKU 033081 / 33081
Repairing a Model 4 and Model 6 Nameplate Detail Press
A variety of manuals and instructions are available for operating, adjusting, and repairing your Model 4 and Model 6. Step by step instructions can be viewed online or a PDF with all the repair and adjustment instructions is available to view, print or download.
Operating Model 4 and Model 6
Adjustments & Repairs for the Model 4 and Model 6
Download a PDF of all the repair instructions
Model 4 and Model 6 Brochure & Operating Instructions
Click on a brochure image to view, download, or print from your own computer. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
This brochure discusses our manually operated nameplate marking detail presses. Available in two sizes, these machines turn out great looking legible valve tags, dog tags, or nameplates. Flat or Sharp face dials are engraved with 40 characters, and can be used on steel, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, and plastic. Nameplate detail presses and replacements parts are available to buy now online.
This brochure discusses the operating instructions for our manually operated nameplate marking detail presses. They are so simple to use, anyone can master the four-step operation. Nameplate detail presses and replacements parts are available to buy now online.
Resources for Nameplates, Dog Tags, Pet ID Tags
SCHMIDT does not manufacture or sell nameplate and tags. However, we can offer several suggestions on where to purchase them.
Below is a list of resources for purchasing blank nameplates, dog tags, pet id tags and accessories. These sources are ones we have become familiar with through our many years in the metal marking industry.
Nameplate Sources and Accessories:
Specialty Metal Products
|Detroit Name Plate
BB Tees Inc.
Dog Tags & Pet ID Tags:
|BB Tees Inc.
PO BOX 271523
Dallas, TX 75227
|Graphotype.net is an online resource to learn read and share information about graphotype machines, embossers, debossers and other related information.|